LEFT parties CPI, CPI(M), CPI(ML), AIFB, RSP and CGPI have jointly given a memorandum to Delhi Chief Minister with the following demands:
- Corona testing should be free for everyone and the Delhi government should bear the cost of medical treatment for Corona patients. Loot by private hospitals should be curbed, failing which the government should take them over. The Delhi government should fix the rates for treatment at private hospitals.
- Keeping in view the growing rate of Corona infection in Delhi, temporary hospitals should be opened immediately and 80000 beds arranged.
- The number of ventilators in Delhi hospitals should be increased by four times by 30 July 2020.
- Lockdown impacted people should be given Rs 7500 financial aid per month for the next 6 months.
- An Urban Employment Guarantee Act on the lines of MNREGA should be passed and implemented. Unemployed youth (men and women) should be given Rs 5000 per month as Unemployment Allowance.
- Owners/managements should pay all workers and staff wages for the Lockdown period.
- Ration kits (containing wheat, rice, dal, edible oil, sugar, salt, spices, soap, and washing powder) should be disbursed to all.
- The Delhi government should break its silence on the false cases slapped against anti-CAA protesters and demand from the Central government that the cases should be revoked and those arrested should be immediately released.
- The Delhi government should either ensure that rent (especially for students) should be waived for the Lockdown period; if not, the rent should be paid by either the Central or the Delhi government.
- The abrogation of Labor laws and enslavement of workers should be stopped. The order for a 12 hour working day should be revoked. Selling government undertakings, privatization, outsourcing of work, contractualization etc. should be stopped. The government should give financial aid to domestic workers.
- Harassment of hawkers and street vendors by the Delhi Police and MCD should be stopped.
- Unpaid salaries for the past 3 months of doctors, nurses and other staff of MCD hospitals should be paid immediately.
- PPE kits and other required safety equipment should be provided to sanitation workers and police personnel while on duty.
- It should be ensured that no government or private school collects fees during the Lockdown and all teachers and staff receive their salaries.
- The Central government should double the number of Corona beds without delay in central hospitals in Delhi. The central government should immediately give Rs 1000 crore from the PM Cares Fund to the Delhi government for management of the Corona crisis.
The Left has prepared this charter of demands keeping in view the ground situation of the people of Delhi caused by the Corona pandemic and the subsequent Lockdown.
They have planned protests to be held across Delhi for demands.